Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Owen update

We met with the surgeon out of Rochester today. He was recommended by Owen's primary care doctor. Unfortunately Dave was not able to come with us, but my mom came along to help with the boys and for support. We were able to Skype with Dave during the entire appointment on our iphone, thank goodness for technology, so he got to hear all the information and get an impression of Dr Silberstein too! Dr Silberstein echoed Dr Tovar-Spinoza's recommendation. He felt like after looking at Owen's scans and listening to our account of his symptoms that surgery would be a good option. He said that if we decided that was what we wanted to do, he could schedule the surgery in 2-4 weeks. We defiantly feel more comfortable making a decision now that we have spoken with 2 different experts. Dr. Silberstein does the less invasive surgery, which Dave and I are more comfortable with. We still have some thinking and discussing to do and as always, will let everyone know the plan when we decide what it is. Right now, we are leaning toward Strong Hospital and Dr Silberstein, simply because we like his surgical technique more than the Syracuse surgeon. Dr Silberstein explained that the surgery takes 3-4 hours and that Owen would need to remain in the hospital for 3-7 days, assuming no complications. Thanks for every ones continued support!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

XOXOXOXOX!!!!!! bmg

Anonymous said...

If you opt for Surgery at Strong, I live 25 minutes away and have an extra bedroom, 2 sofas and an air mattress if you want a homey place to stay. Terry's here until right after x-mas & then he's off to FL for 10 weeks. I work 3-11:30pm now and 10-6:30 after 1/1, so you could come & go as you please. Great place on a creek with birds, squirrels & chippys. Peaceful and comfortable. Just holler or email. 585-732-5041 cbeckingham@msn.com Lots of warm thoughts & Love, Chris Beckingham